These healthy muesli bars are perfect as a filling snack at home or in the lunchbox. They’re really easy and quick to make.
We’ve made ours with what was in our cupboard, so don’t be afraid to experiment with what you have in yours! For a gluten-free version, try substituting the oats with extra nuts, seeds and dried fruit.
Serves: 8-16 (depends how big you make the slices!)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup trail mix (almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas, sultanas – or whatever mix of nuts/seeds/dried fruit/coconut you like)
- 2 tablespoons poppy or chia seeds
- 3 free-range eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup lightly-flavoured extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup floral honey (e.g. blossom – may be lower GI than some other honeys)
- Preheat your oven to 160°C.
- Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and pulse once or twice. Alternatively, roughly chop the nuts, seeds and dried fruit and put into a large bowl; and then add everything else and mix well.
- Line a baking tray (that’s about 30cm x 20cm) with baking paper, and spoon the mixture into it. Push it down well.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let it cool before cutting it into bars.
- We keep our bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.