This beetroot chocolate cake is YUMMY and healthier than a traditional chocolate cake! Nom, nom, nom.
Serves: who knows!? It all depends how big you make the slices!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50-60 minutes
- 2 cups almond meal
- About 2 large fresh beetroots
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup floral honey (e.g. blossom – may be lower GI than some other honeys)
- ½ cup lightly-flavoured extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup cocoa
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- 1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
- Pinch salt
- Serve with fresh mint, blueberries, unsweetened yoghurt and a dusting of cocoa
- Preheat your oven to 170°C.
- Finely grate the fresh beetroot – it’s easiest with a food processor, but you can also do it by hand.
- Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and mix together thoroughly, or mix the ingredients well in a large mixing bowl.
- Line a standard-sized cake tin (e.g. a round one that’s about 23cm in diameter) with baking paper, and spoon the mixture into it.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until knife or skewer comes out clean when inserted into it and then removed.
- Serve with mint, blueberries, yoghurt and a dusting of cocoa.